It’s that time of year again, to pick some of our favorites for the year! And since we’re both big on movies here at The Fresnerd, that’s what we’re going with! As we always do, these are our favorites, not necessarily what we considered to be the best.
Jaime’s Top 5
This was a slow movie year for me for a variety of reasons. I only managed to watch 10 movies that came out this year. That would make for a bit of a depressing Top 10 list, so I’m sticking with my Top 5. There are plenty of other releases I can’t wait to see, but they aren’t going to happen before the end of the year (A Quiet Place, Isle of Dogs, Ant-Man and the Wasp to name a few).
5. Deadpool 2 - It’s always hard for a sequel to live up to a hugely successful initial film. Deadpool 2 was enjoyable, but did not have as many memorable moments as the original.
4. Hereditary - I was torn on this one. Parts of this movie took me completely by surprise. It had one of the best mid-movie twists I’ve seen, taking the story in a totally different direction than I had expected. However parts of the movie were very similar to Rosemary’s Baby. In the end, I’m OK with the similarities, and this one really stuck with me.
3. Black Panther - This movie had a great cast and was full of new characters I quickly grew to love. This was a great setup to lead directly into Infinity War.
2. Annihilation - This barely edged out Black Panther for my second favorite of the year. Having read the book series this was based on, I was especially impressed with how the movie pulled enough from all three books to tell a full story.
1. Avengers Infinity War - I loved that this movie set the tone immediately. Picking up shortly after the end of Thor Ragnarok, showing Thanos clearly in control of the situation. Plus this movie is pretty much the only one that has ever made me cheer out loud in a theater.
Carlos’ Top 10
10. A Quiet Place
9. Creed II
7. A Star is Born
6. Black Panther
5. Paddington 2
4. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
2. Avengers Infinity War
1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse