The second season of Stranger Things came out two days ago, and a lot of people, but not all, have finished up the season. I'll warn you now, this post WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS! If you haven't watched the season yet, you may want to come back later! For now, go read our spoiler-free review at https://www.thefresnerd.com/home/2017/10/29/stranger-things-season-2-spoiler-free.
For those of you still here who have seen the second season, we want to give you a space here where you can talk about whatever you want about the show. Leave us a comment with what you liked, what you didn't like, or what you'd like to see in the future.
I'll kick it off with some thoughts of my own.
- The cast continues to be amazing. I'll give special kudos to Noah Schnapp who plays Will Byers. We didn't get to see a whole lot of him in the first season, but he just slid right in and was a perfect fit with the rest of the cast. A special mention goes to Dacre Montgomery who played Billy. I seriously seriously hated this character, but I think that was the point. He nailed it.
- That first time Hopper dropped into the tunnel and we got the slow flip over into the Upside Down had be downright giddy!
- The fill-in-the-blank backstory on Eleven. I loved seeing how she got from defeating the Demogorgon to being where we see her in this season.
- The first half of the season, with Will having flashes into the Upside Down, were awesome. I loved the tension this all built.
- I'm glad the creators didn't just ignore the slug that Will coughed up at the end of the first season. The fact that it was just a baby Demogorgon was great.
- OK, calling this the bad isn't really fair. Let's say it's the stuff I didn't really love.
- The "grand finale". In the first season there was a ton of tension as Eleven fought and defeated the Demogorgon. This time she was closing up the portal, we saw the shadow monster looming on the other side, but we never really got that payoff of the shadow monster starting to burst through or anything.
- After the opening scene to the series, I was super excited about Eight. I thought maybe she would be needed to join the fight, but I was disappointed. The fact that she was just there to show that Eleven had some morals and cared about her friends didn't really do it for me. That whole episode felt sort of wasted. Who knows, maybe we'll see more of the other telepaths in the future.
- The pack of Demodogs (did anyone give Dogogorgon a shot?) reminded me of the zombie dogs in Resident Evil. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something we've seen before. I do wish one of them had done their final metamorphosis into a Demogorgon, or at least started the process.
- And now for all my just general thoughts, theories, and "wait, what was that?"
- Throughout most of the season, I expected Max and her brother to be some sort of government agent, or possibly other telepaths (or both). Their relationship was definitely weird. Ultimately it did make sense that they were just stepsiblings.
- Are we going to get a third season? This was not as open-ended as the first season. I did like that we got to see that the Shadow Monster is definitely still around, so that could be a basis for another season, but we don't have the connection to the Right Side Up like we did with Will. I'm OK with this. I would absolutely love another season, but if it ended now I could be OK with it.
That's it for now! I'll amend this post or add in to the comments if I think of more. In the meantime, leave a comment with anything you thought! I can't wait to hear what everyone else thought about the season!